Panasonic VIERA TC-L37DT30 37-Inch 3D LED HDTV | Full HD 3D TV Reviews Blog
 

Panasonic VIERA TC-L37DT30 37-Inch 3D LED HDTV

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Panasonic VIERA TC-L37DT30 37-Inch 1080p 3D LED HDTVEquipped with a slot for SD, HD VIERA, it is easy to see the pictures and animated images at once. Simply insert the SD memory card, and you're ready to view HD photos and movies on the big screen. You can make the presentation even more impressive with the addition of background music and attractive settings. With the VIERA screen and superb image quality, family and friends who love to share your memories.


The games are much more fun when there is no delay in operation. VIERA automatically chooses the optimal picture settings that provide in order to obtain ultra-fast response without delay. Even dark scenes with finely rendered details are beautiful and easy to see.

It VIERA Tools interface makes it easy to use and understand the key functions. Just press a function key, and an explanation appears on the screen. Press and hold to activate immediately.

IPS Alpha Panel, which is known for its wide viewing angle and excellent light transmission, is now enhanced with a bright, energy-saving LED backlight. The images are not deleted when viewed from an angle, and the contrast is higher than previous models, IPS Alpha, in spite of consuming less energy. The IPS Alpha LED LCD TV offers superior color reproduction and also contributes to the slim design of the screen.

Panasonic VIERA TC-L37DT30 Features

  • Full HD 3D (1 Pair of Glasses Included)
  • Flush Design
  • VIERA Connect
  • 240Hz with Motion Picture Pro 5

Key Specifications

  • Series: DT30
  • Screen type: LCD
  • Screen size: 42 inches
  • Native resolution: 1,920 x 1,080 pixels
  • Panel:IPS-Alpha LED LCD 1080p (WSXGA)
  • Filter: Clear Panel
  • HDTV display capability: 1080p, 1080i, 720p
  • EDTV display capability: 480p
  • Speakers: 2 full range, 20W total power,V-Audio Surround
  • Image viewer:Yes (AVCHD/MPEG2/JPEG/MP3 playback)
  • Aspect control: 480i/p: Full, Just, 4:3, Zoom 1080i/p: Full, H-Fill, Just, 4:3, Zoom
  • Optional wall-mounting bracket: TY-WK3L2RW
  • Multi-lingual menu: English/Spanish/French
  • Energy Star qualified: Yes

Connections

  • HDMI: 4 (1 side)
  • Component (Y, PB, PR): RCA x 1
  • Composite A/V: RCA x 1
  • PC input (15-pin, D-Sub): 1
  • Digital audio output: 1 (5.1 ch)

Customer Rating 5.0/5

I just received my 37" DT30 from Panasonic this past weekend. I purchased it from Amazon Warehouse in "like new" condition for a SUBSTANTIAL discount. The TV arrived in excellent condition and was, indeed, like new (except for the packaging). I purchased this TV to replace a 32" Sharp 720p TV in the bedroom. I choose the DT30 because it was essentially a 37" tv that has the dimensions of a 32" tv and was able to fit in my wife's armoire (which I would ditch and put an even larger tv in its place if it were up to me). I have to say though that, for a 37" tv, this Panny really packs a big picture. The image quality is truly jaw dropping right out of the box. The color gamut is remarkable and vibrant. The blacks are inky dark and even in high contrast scenes, I saw no evidence of blooming of flashlighting that is often complained about on some other LED-LCD TV's like the Samsung UN40D6500. The IPS panel makes a huge difference--there is no meaningful loss of clarity in the picture when watching from wide angles. This is a TV designed with gamers in mind. According to many of the techies that post on AVS Forum, the tv's 2ms response time is no joke and there is absolutely no lag on this tv. For gaming this is the number one tv on the market period.

I am not, however, a gamer. I want to spend my tv time enjoying a gorgeous picture--this tv delivers in spades. It blows away my 40" Sony XBR2 that sits in my den and brings high definition to a whole new level. I'll give you an example of how much of a difference this tv can make. Several months ago I owned a Sony Bloggie Touch (that I kept for a week). At the time, I considered the Sony Bloggie Touch to be a piece of crap. The 1080p video looked terrible on XBR2--grainy and excessively noisy, with lots of visible judder and trailing. Colors were oversaturated no matter how hard I tried to clean it up. I consider this video to be essentially unwatchable. I ran this video through the Panny, with the Cinema Motion 5 dialed up to strong and noise reduction on and.... low and behold... even this crappy video looked great!!! Now, the video quality on the bloggie is still crap (IMO), but if this tv can make that video look good, imagine what it does with high quality blu ray movies??? People, this is a true reference level TV and, in my humble opinion, this TV performs nearly as well as the Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD (still best tv ever made--if only I could have afforded one). I was just watching Avatar off my Verizon Fios dvr box and you could swear you looking at a Blu Ray. I also watched Clash of the Titans in 3d off of Fios on Demand (free) and the 3d effects were awesome. The only knock on 3d performance would be that the 3d effect may be better on a larger tv, but even watching it at 10' away you still felt enveloped by the movie's 3d effect (the movie's plot itself sucked and wasn't close to as good as the original).

The viera cast may be great, but I am currently having problems getting the tv to handshake with either of my wireless routers. I am not ready to blame it on Panasonic yet and have a few more experiments to play with before I start calling help lines. I'll update this part of the review when I have a fix for the problem. Honestly, this is one heck of a t.v. If you're looking for a 37" tv and you're willing to spend the bucks to get performance, this is the TV for you.

Update 6/28/11: I hooked up a wireless n router and was able to connect to the TV with no problem. It seems the wifi issue I am having has to do with the security protocols I have set up on the avtec router that Fios uses. I am running the wireless n router opened with no security protocols at the moment, which my not be all that smart--but I am only using the router to stream video and it's not being used for networking. I'll continue to work on a solution. That said, viera cast is a great product. The navigation and set up are easy and it actually has really good apps: Cinema Now, Netflix, Amazon on Demand, mlb.tv, fox sports, weather channel, wealth hd, twitter, skype, facebook etc. Video quality on netflix is very good--on par with my apple tv. I had no delays with streaming and there is less buffering time than with my Apple TV (so far). I just have to figure out how to run the sound back to my AVR from the TV.

Update 7/13/11: I am still loving this tv! For the nitpickers out there, there is corner flashlighting on this tv during start up with an all black screen and there is blooming around the letter during movie credits. I have yet to see an edge lit LED-LCD TV that didn't have these issues, but when when there is an actual video image on the screen, these problems are not evident at all! If you turn off the AI function in the menu (which controls the zone dimming), the flashlighting issue improves (but does not completely resolve). Again though, this is not a big deal unless you are insanely anal retentive. I have also since connect the tv to my router by ethernet and it is working fabulously. Viera cast is loaded with goodies. One thing I would like to see improved is the Netflix UI, which does not give you access to the full netflix library and does NOT include a search feature. This UI can and should be improved with a firmware update. To really use netflix on this tv, you need load all the content you want to watch into your instant-q on your computer and then you can access it on viera cast. Panasonic should buy an apple tv or roku to see how the UI should be properly set up. Once streaming though, I have NO complaints about the video or audio playback quality.



0 comments: